How Should I Cook Squid?
Squid and Chrizo Stew.
I can promise you one thing, the most important thing in fact. That this stew leaves the squid mouthwateringly tender. Its best served on its own with crusty bread or as a sauce with angle hair pasta.
1 Squid (Freeze beifly and defrost it to tenderise the meat)
1 Red onion
1 Bulb of garlic
10 Cherry tomatoes
2 Yellow Pepper
1 Red Pepper
2 Cooking Chorizos
2 Glasses Salt and Pepper
1. Pre-Heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Chop 2 Shallots, and 1 Red onion into segments, and half width ways a blub of garlic. Rub these all in olive oil, salt and peper and place in a roasting tray. Add in also the cherry tomatoes.
3. Score the skin of the larger tomatoes at their top with an ‘x’, and place them in a large heatproof bowl. Boil a kettle and pour the boiling water over them. Aproximatley a minute latter remove the tomatoes from the water and peel their skins off. They should almost roll down the tomato.
4. Chop each tomato into a sixth and place them into the baking tray, with some fresh sprigs of thyme.
5. Roast the contents of the tray until soft aprox. 25 minutes.
6. While the onion and tomatoes are roasting, chop into slithers the peppers and fry with the chorizo in a large pan that will eventually hold the entire stew.
7. When the roasted vegetables are soft and have taken on some colour, puree half of them with a little water. Pour this into the sweated pepper mix along with the other half of the unpureed onions and tomatoes. Heat gently to a slow simmer.
8. Take the squid and place it in a pastic bag…..hit it repeatdley with a rolling pin!
9. Make sure that the squid is clean and that the film coating the conical boday has been removed. To check if you are unsure run a knife up or down its body. This will remove any sheath that is left on the body. Rinse the inside of the body and pull out the tentacles. Cut just bellow the eye and discard the rest of the squids insides,
10. Cut the squid into 3 inch size pieces and add to the pan. Bring the contents to the boil and add the glasses of sherry, and season.
11. Reduce the heat and cook for 2 hours with the lid on very gently.
12. EAT…because its too delicious to leave alone any longer!